< previous month | show all MARCH | next month >
23 MARCH 2023 — thursday
- Book Passage presents Ana Reyes reading from her debut novel The House in the Pines, a psychological thriller about memory and manipulation, and Claire Jiménez reading from her novel What Happened to Ruthy Ramirez, about a family recovering after the disappearance of thirteen-year-old Ruthy Ramirez, a Special Event Mini Series in honor of Women's History Month, online, free, 6:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/ana-reyes-house-pines-what-happened-ruthy-ramirez-claire-jim%C3%A9nez-online-event).
- City Lights Books presents poet Charif Shanahan, Into Each Room We Enter without Knowing, Lambda Literary Award finalist, celebrating the publication of his new collection, Trace Evidence, in conversation with poet Solmaz Sharif, Look, finalist for the National Book Award, City Lights Books, 261 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, and online via Zoom, free, 6:00 pm PDT (Register to attend: citylights.com/events)
24 MARCH 2023 — friday
- The Living Room Reading Series presents a reading on the theme of Education, by Fred Dodsworth, Erin Mansur, James Siegel, and André Le Mont Wilson, The Living Room Salon, 395 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, free, 7:00pm PDT (Register to attend: thelivingroomsf.com)
- Beyond Baroque presents a reading and conversation with poets Mark Irwin, Joyful Orphan, Shimmer, and Elena Karina Byrne, If This Makes You Nervous, No Don't, Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd., Venice Beach, Los Angeles, 8:00-11:00 pm PDT (RSVP to attend: www.beyondbaroque.org/calendar.html)
25 MARCH 2023 — saturday
- The Ina Coolbrith Circle will hold a memorial service for its long-time president, poet Richard Angilly, who passed away December 17, 2022; the memorial will take the place of the monthly membership meeting, Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley, 1 Lawson Road, Kensington, 1:00-5:00 pm PDT
- Book Passage presents Cara Black reading from her new book Night Flight to Paris, set during the height of Nazi occupation during World War II in the follow-up to Three Hours in Paris, Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, free, 1:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/cara-black-night-flight-paris-corte-madera-store).
- Beyond Baroque presents poet Carol V. Davis, Into the Arms of Pushkin: Poems of St. Petersburg, winner of the 2007 T.S. Eliot Prize, celebrating the launch of her fourth collection, Below Zero, an exploration of Siberia and borders, faith and doubt, home and belonging, Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd., Venice Beach, Los Angeles, free, 7:00 pm PDT (Register to attend: www.beyondbaroque.org/calendar.html)
- Book Passage presents Andrea Dunlop reading from her new novel Women Are the Fiercest Creatures, three women take on their manipulative CEO who wrote them out of his startup's history, and Mary Otis reads from her debut novel, Burst, about the complex relationship between mothers and daughters, a Special Event Mini Series in Honor of Women's History Month, online, free, 4:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/andrea-dunlop-women-are-fiercest-creatures-mary-otis-burst-online-event).
- Medicine for Nightmares presents poet Ernest Garai, reading from his new collection, Reverberating Voices, joined by San Francisco Poet Laureate Tongo Eisen-Martin, Heaven Is All Goodbyes, California Book Award-winner; activist and poet Bernice Espinoza; and poet N'game Gray, Medicine for Nightmares Bookstore & Gallery, 3036 24th Street, San Francisco, and online via Zoom, free, 6:00-8:00 pm PDT (More information here: medicinefornightmares.com/events)
26 MARCH 2023 — sunday
- Book Passage presents Cathleen Schine reading from her new book Künstler's in Paradise, a comedic coming-of-age story about a young man and his eccentric grandmother, Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, free, 1:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/cathleen-schine-k%C3%BCnstlers-paradise-corte-madera-store).
- Beyond Baroque celebrates the life of Doug Knotts (1943-2022), poet, performer, and former president of Beyond Baroque's Board of Trustees, author of several books including the poetry collection Small Dogs Bark Cartoons, with readings, performances, and remembrances by Quentin Ring, Janet Sager Knott, The Mighty Echoes, Peter Lownds, John Fleck, Phoebe MacAdams Ozuna, Laurel Ann Bogen, John Doe, Exene Cervenka, Richard Modiano, Jerry the Priest, Jerome Dunn, Nelson Gary, Alexa Hunter, Marsha de la Oh, Phil, Joe Culp, Andy Schwartz, Neal Taylor, Mike M Mollett, Michael Lane Bruner, and S.A. Griffin, Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd., Venice Beach, Los Angeles, free, 1:00-4:00 pm PDT (Register to attend: www.beyondbaroque.org/calendar.html)
- Medicine for Nightmares presents a chapbook jam, with featured Nomadic Press poets Rachelle Escamilla, Space Junk from the Heavenly Palace; Yeva Johnsonis, Analog Poet Blues; Antmenantmen Pimentel Mendoza, My Boyfriend Apocalypse; Kimberly Acevedo, Ryan Nakano, I Am Minor; Edward Gunawan, The Way Back; and Lourdes Figueroa, Ruidos = To Learn Speak, Medicine for Nightmares Bookstore & Gallery, 3036 24th Street, San Francisco, free, 3:00-5:00 pm PDT (More information here: medicinefornightmares.com/events)
- The Village Poets of Sunland-Tujunga presents a reading with featured poets Toti O'Brien, Alter Alter, Pages of a Broken Diary, and Linda Dove, Fearn, with two open mic sessions, Bolton Hall Museum, 10110 Commerce Avenue, Tujunga, Los Angeles, suggested donation $5, 4:30 pm PDT (More information here: villagepoets.blogspot.com)
- Book Passage presents Ivy Ross and Susan Magsamen in conversation with Tiffany Shlain discussing their latest book Your Brain on Art, a journey through the neurobiology of art and how it makes a positive impact on our everyday lives, Book Passage 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, free, 4:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/ivy-ross-and-susan-magsamen-tiffany-shlain-your-brain-art-corte-madera-store).
27 MARCH 2023 — monday
- Book Passage presents an offsite event with Dr. Lisa Damour discussing her latest book The Emotional Lives of Teenagers: Raising Connected, Capable, and Compassionate Adolescents, guidance on helping teens and how to address adolescent mental health, Osher Marin JCC, 200 N. San Pedro Road, San Rafael, and online, free, 7:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/jacqueline-winspear-tony-broadbent-white-lady-corte-madera-store).
- Book Passage presents Philip Taubman discussing his definitive biography In the Nation's Service, detailing George P. Shultz's journey as the US Secretary of Labor, Secretary of the Treasury, and Secretary of State during the end of the Cold War, Book Passage, 1 Ferry Building, San Francisco, free, 2:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/philip-taubman-nation%E2%80%99s-service-ferry-building-store).
- Silvia Vasquez-Lavado discusses her latest book, In the Shadow of the Mountain, a thrilling memoir detailing her journey to Mount Everest, sponsored by Book Passage, offsite at Dominican University of California, 50 Acacia Avenue, San Rafael, $30, 7:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/intheshadowofthemountain23).
28 MARCH 2023 — tuesday
- Cobalt Poets presents a poetry reading featuring Derek Brown, with open mic to follow, online via Zoom, free, 7:30 pm PST (Register to attend: www.poetrysuperhighway.com/cobalt/calendar.html)
- Book Passage presents Helena Fox, reading from her latest novel The Quiet and the Loud, in conversation with novelist Kathleen Glasgow, Girl in Pieces, online, free, 5:30 pm PDT (More information here: www.bookpassage.com/event/helena-fox-kathleen-glasgow-quiet-and-loud-online-event).
- City Lights Books presents novelist Belén Gopegui, La escala de los mapas [The Scale of Maps], discussing her new book, Stay This Day and Night with Me, in conversation with Mark Schafer, translator of the book, online via Zoom, free, Noon PDT (Register to attend: citylights.com/events)
- Medicine for Nightmares presents translator and poet Dong Li, reading and discussing his debut collection, The Orange Tree, in conversation with poet Forrest Gander, Be With, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry, Medicine for Nightmares Bookstore & Gallery, 3036 24th Street, San Francisco, and online via Zoom, free, 7:00-8:30 pm PDT (More information here: medicinefornightmares.com/events)
29 MARCH 2023 — wednesday
30 MARCH 2023 — thursday
- The Breakroom Poetry Mic presents an open-mic hosted by Jason Bayani, Hieu Mihn Nguyen, and sam sax, Gilman Brewing Company, 912 Gilman Street, Berkeley, free, 7:00 pm PDT (Register to attend: gilmanbrew.com/event-type/show)
- A night of poetry in collaboration with the show Hechizos, with featured artist and poet Leticia Hernández-Linares, Mucha Muchacha, Too Much Girl, joining Leticia to read are poets Flavia Mora, Anna Rodas, Entre cenizas y palmas, Dr. Ayodele Nzinga, first Poet Laureate of Oakland, and Yaccaira Salvatierra, Medicine for Nightmares Bookstore & Gallery, 3036 24th Street, San Francisco, free, 7:00-8:30 pm PDT (More information here: medicinefornightmares.com/events)
- Writers Read Ukiah presents former Ukiah Poet Laureate Jabez W. Churchill, with an open mic reading to follow, $5 suggested donation, Grace Hudson Museum, 431 South Main Street, Ukiah, 7:00 pm PDT
- City Lights Books presents novelist and critic Yxta Maya Murray, Art Is Everything, celebrating her new book, God Went Like That, about the environmental damage caused by the Simi Valley nuclear power accidents, in conversation with writer and performer Jocelyn Saidenberg, Kith & Kin, online via Zoom, free, 6:00 pm PDT (Register to attend: citylights.com/events)
- Sausalito Books by the Bay presents Susan Wels discussing her book An Assassin in Utopia: The True Story of a Nineteenth-Century Sex Cult and a President's Murder in conversation with Celeste Perry, Sausalito Books by the Bay, 100 Bay Street, Sausalito, free, 6:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.sausalitobooksbythebay.com/2023-events/author-event-susan-wels-an-assassin-in-utopia).
31 MARCH 2023 — friday
- Beyond Baroque presents an evening of poetry and jazz, featuring readings by Rhys Langston, Language Arts Unit: a Rap Textbook, A.K. Toney, and Tori Gesualdo, with music by The Cesar Hernandez Quintet, Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, 681 Venice Blvd., Venice Beach, Los Angeles, free, doors open 7:30 pm, performances begin 8:00 pm PDT (RSVP to attend: www.beyondbaroque.org/calendar.html)
- Green Apple Books presents poet Monica Youn, Ignatz, finalist for the National Book Award, reading from and discussing her new book, From From, in conversation with poet Solmaz Sharif, Look, finalist for the National Book Award, Green Apple Books, 1231 9th Aveue, San Francisco, free, 7:00 pm PDT (More information here: www.greenapplebooks.com/event/9th-ave-monica-youn-solmaz-sharif)
< previous month | show all MARCH | next month >